Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 105/365


Maggie is still having some pain since her slip last week, so her surgeon put her on a muscle relaxer called Robaxin. She had her first dose last night when I got home from work. About an hour later she started going crazy, running around the house, flopping her head around and rubbing it on anything she could find. I finally got her to sit still long enough for me to look at her and I saw her eyes and mouth swelling up in front of my eyes. I grabbed Tyler from outside, thru him inside, grabbed a leash and my phone and Maggie and ran out the door. Called the vet on my way there. I was a bit panicked, as I had convinced myself that the swelling would cause her to stop breathing on the way there. Happily, she didn't, but she was really a mess. The doctor gave her a shot of benadryl, but was worried about her breathing because by then, she was completely zonked out by the muscle relaxer. We had to wait there for an hour so they could monitor her. They wanted to give her steroids, but couldn't because of another med she is already on. They thought about inducing vomiting, but because she was completely zonked, they were afraid she'd aspirate. What an ordeal. So, no more Robaxin for her. The vet said she has never heard of a dog being allergic to it. But if something can happen, apparently, it will happen to my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment